♦ At Monday’s Board of Education Meeting at 5 p.m. at 500 N. Main Street in Salisbury.
• Josh Wagner was voted back in BoE Chairman by a 4 to 3 vote with board members Josh Wagner, Travis Allen, Dean Hunter, and Susan Cox voting for him.
Susan Cox was voted in as the new Vice Chairperson after defeating Dean Hunter by a 4 to 3 margin. Voting for Cox was Alisha Byrd, Jean Kennedy, Susan Cox, and Dr. Richard Miller.
• Candice Austin was approved by the BoE as the new Principal at Overton Elementary School. According to RSSS: “The Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education approved Superintendent Dr. Lynn Moody’s recommendation to name Candice Austin will be the new principal at Overton Elementary School. Mrs. Austin has experience with the Rowan-Salisbury Schools previously serving as an assistant principal Granite Quarry Elementary and a member of the district’s “Grow Your Own Leaders” professional development program. She is currently an Instructional Facilitator with Troutman Elementary Schools. Mrs. Austin received her Bachelor’s Degree from UNC-Charlotte in Special Education and her Master’s Degree from Gardner Webb University in School Administration.”
Candice Austin, new Overton Elementary Principal, being greeted by BoE members:
• Former Hurley Elementary School Principal Karen Anderson abruptly resigned Thursday and left the school on Friday. In her place Ryan Dissler was appointed as interim Principal at Hurley.
• BoE approved roofing and safety bids totaling $6.5 million dollars.
• Approved a property swap of about 71,000 square feet of land with the Cleveland Volunteer Fire Department. This land trade will require the approval of the Rowan County Commissioners.
• Provided an update on the Western Elementary School. The Cleveland property is expected to close soon. Construction scheduled to start June 2017 and school to open in August of 2018.
The BoE will meet again on January 9th at 8 a.m. combining a budget planning session and work session.